Click on the map to display elevation.
Heanor, Derbyshire, East Midlands, England, DE75 7EZ, United Kingdom (53.01458 -1.35750)
Samuel Lewis's A Topographical Dictionary of England, published in 1848, states that Heanor parish "abounds with coal and ironstone, both worked extensively, the collieries alone affording employment to more than 2000 persons. The town is pleasantly situated upon an eminence, on the road from Derby to Mansfield. The principal articles of manufacture are silk and cotton goods, hosiery, and bobbinet lace, providing occupation to about 800 persons." The parish then covered 7,000 acres (2,800 ha) and was in the union of Basford and the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, with Heanor town itself covering 1,500 acres (610 ha) and containing 3,058 inhabitants. The parish church, dedicated to St Mary, was "a very ancient edifice, with a lofty substantial tower, from which is an extensive view," though the dictionary noted that there were also "places of worship for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans, and Ranters". In 1867 the church building was replaced, retaining the 15th-century tower. It is possible the dedication was changed to St Lawrence at this time.